Saturday, October 9, 2010

Twitter, Facebook, and Social Activism

Twitter, Facebook, and social activism: newyorker.com

This is an article that I found while I was browsing a website called alternet.org.
They are an alternative media outlet that focuses on news that you would not find in the mainstream media.

The article from the New Yorker is really great. It talks about how people used to be known for their causes and the actual work they did to bring about social change and now we are being recognized by our tools; facebook, twitter, email. It brings up a lot of the issues we have been discussing in class about communication models and how information reaches a vast audience in social network, but it is not the only answer to bringing about movements for change. We can not solely rely on this one area of media to substitute for actual protests and demonstrations and face to face communication.

1 comment:

  1. Your post are very focused and relevant for the class! I love this article in particular and I will tell the presenters on social media to use it.

    ReplyDelete