My blogg will talk about aspects of media for social change and the real issues of "news".
Sunday, December 5, 2010
Wikileaks getting the Kaibash?
Wiki leaks creator Julian Assage is now considered a "high-tech terrorist" according to U.S. senate Republican leader Mich McConnel. The U.S. government is currently trying to shut down the whistle blower website because "the release of thousands of sensitive diplomatic reports has caused enormous damage to our country and also our relationships with allies around the world".
But comments like these make me question is this really the reason why the government wants to take it away or is it because we are actually finding out the inhumane acts that our troops are preforming during war, or they are afraid that we are becoming to informed, and this is just one more aspect of the media that needs to be under government control.
The act of trying to pull the site off the web is turning into a case about censorship. As Swiss Pirate Party Vice President Pascal Gloor states, "Can the government take something off the net. I think Not"
Wikileaks Struggles to Stay Online as Hostility Grows
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm still on the fence about this. From one perspective, I think we should be able to know what our government is doing, especially if it affects our country. But on the other hand, I realize that there are things that probably shouldn't be public that could be detrimental to the safety to the US and its citizens. I do agree, however, that the government should in no way be able to censor the internet, because that is a full violation of our freedom of speech and expression.
ReplyDelete